Smash TV

I have recently been screwing around a bit with the "twin-stick shooter" genre, and then realized one of my childhood favorites was not only part of the genre, but also an amazing addition to it. I was always familiar with the classic arcade version (thanks to Midway Arcade Treasures Vol. 1), but I decided to try out the SNES version just before this review, and it was quite the joyride.

As a little bit of background, Smash TV is a twin-stick shooter, meaning the character is controlled with one joystick, and shooting is controlled with the other. You play as a competitor in a deadly game-show in which you move from room to room defeating waves of enemies, powering up, collecting loot, and hopefully make it out alive. The game can be played alone, but the difficulty suggests that a second player might be helpful, as well as adding to the fun of the competition. Trying to out-score your partner can add an extra challenge that is worth every life.

Besides the fact that the game is super fun and that you should totally try it sometime if you get the chance, I have another fun suggestion. Play the game with a shuffling soundtrack of your own creation sometime. I decided to try it, and I am definitely glad I did. My android-slaughtering action got backed by the Halo-like intensity of This is the Future, and the delightful irony of Octopus's Garden. Both changed the mood of the game in some astonishing, but very fun ways. Very, very worth it.
Although the game is no longer being distributed, you can learn more about it here (as of 8/29/2016): http://www.giantbomb.com/smash-tv/3030-16194/

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes