Tomodachi Life: Living the Dream - Welcome Version
I'm not usually one for reviewing demos, since I don't think a pared-down experience properly exposes you to the game it represents. I've been known to review them anyway if they're a wholly separate experience, not just a vertical slice or content-limited introduction, but the new Tomodachi Life demo does not fit that bill, so what gives? When I downloaded this demo, I was driven by the nostalgia of receiving the "Move-In Version" for the 3DS game over a decade ago. When I first booted it up, I wanted to show my daughter how silly it was, but I intended to be the one who played it. However, she was immediately so interested that I switched over to her profile and handed her the reigns. What followed was a little girl enjoying a short demo so much that it seemed like a full game through her eyes. She got significantly more time out of it than I would have, and still wants to keep playing around with her Mii islanders. In light of that, I thought this absolutely qualified as a Daddy-Daughter Game Night title, and now I must review it. I'm especially eager to get my thoughts in writing, because I have no idea how she'll feel by the time we actually get the full game, and I want to remember the joy of playing this simple little demo with her.
Starting the game out with making her first Mii, affectionately named Effeff, my girlie was having a fun enough time with the character creation options. She's made plenty of Miis on the Wii U gamepad in the past, so this was familiar ground for her. It was the brand new face paint option that shifted the paradigm. For context, my daughter is a body-art junkie. Whether it's temporary tattoos, stickers, band-aids, makeup, or straight-up pens and markers, this kid wants color on her skin absolutely all the time. Face paint is a special treat, since she only really has the opportunity to get it at theme parks and fairs, so giving her the power to paint on her Miis' faces at any time blew her little mind. She would still play other parts of the game during most sessions, but she always came back to this one screen, and was constantly discovering new ways to express herself through explosive color.
The rest of the demo is pretty short, offering you up to three Mii islanders, two shops, and a few sample interactions before locking your Miis in their homes to blather about what you can do in the retail game. In the time she did have with the islanders actually walking around and doing stuff, I saw my daughter improve both her skill and confidence in using the left joystick, and gain a new familiarity with the Nintendo layout of buttons. She was independently navigating the menus and moving the cursor with a confidence I haven't seen from her with any other game! I only wish I noticed our TV wasn't in game mode sooner. Over a week into playing together, I finally got my hands on the controller and noticed a significant latency that she had just been working around the whole time. Had I fixed that right away, I expect her problem with overshooting her targets would have evaporated. Nevertheless, she worked around it and had the resilience of a tiny champion.
Even her inability to read didn't stop her from enjoying the game. While there is plenty to read, she was still able to navigate the menus thanks to the liberal use of detailed icons. The Miis all actually speak, so she had no need for the subtitles, and she just ignored the tutorial blurbs altogether. If not for the face paint, I would point to the Miis' talking as the thing that kept my daughter hooked. Early on in the game, you enter your own name so the islanders know what to call you. I think she forgot about that as soon as we did it, so when Effeff called out to her by name, she was shocked! Now she loves hearing them chat about anything and dotes over them like a grandmother stuck in a toddler's body.
I'm sure I'll have much more to say once we get around to the full release, but I still had a great time playing this demo with my little one, even though she did most of the playing. Almost every time I write one of these Daddy-Daughter Game Night reviews, I think "this is the time she actually started to get it," but then she goes and does even better with the next one and I'm just floored. If I do end up getting her the full game soon, I can't imagine what her gaming literacy and skills will be like by the end, but I'm excited to find out! While this isn't the most impressive demo I've played by any means, it already holds the best memories, and I think that's exactly what Tomodachi Life strives to do. I'm glad I pushed back against my usual demo aversion to share this experience with my daughter, and I'm looking forward to playing more games with her soon.
The game is available for Switch and Switch 2 here (as of 4/23/26): https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/tomodachi-life-living-the-dream-switch/

