Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition

Outer Wilds was a game that I built a lot of expectations around. Over the past year or so, I've been upping my consumption of content from the indie game YouTube scene. It didn't matter which creator I was watching, though. One game kept coming up. Often described as a "Metroidbrainia" or a "knowledge-based game," Outer Wilds seemed right up my alley. I didn't want any spoilers, so I always skipped past anything but the most surface-level discussions, yet I was so convinced I would enjoy it that I pre-ordered a physical copy for Nintendo Switch at my local GameStop. While I could have saved money and started playing sooner by buying it digitally during one of the frequent eShop sales, I knew that this was a game I would want to be able to display on my shelf and share with friends. Now that I have finally beaten it, I'm happy to report that Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition is one of the most incredible games I have ever played.

Boiled down to its pure essence, I would say that Outer Wilds is about the wonder of exploration and adventure. Taking on the role of a fledgling space traveler on the day of their first flight, you're given complete freedom to pick your destinations and explore however you'd like. However, you aren't just flying around aimlessly. Before you can take off, you need to pick up the flight codes from the observatory, which contains a small museum full of artifacts and anomalies discovered by other astronauts. Each exhibit introduces a mystery for you to explore further, giving you a great selection of early-game targets. Five other space travelers have also made camp somewhere in the solar system, and you are encouraged to seek them out when you get the chance.

I hesitate to say much more beyond that because things really pop off soon after you get some idea of where you want to go and tackling this game as blindly as possible will make for the best experience. The world of Outer Wilds is so intricately crafted, the narrative threads weave together beautifully, and solving its mysteries for yourself can be a powerful drug. Something I found especially incredible is that save for a few time-saving mechanics, nothing is locked away from you at any point. Now that I have beaten the game and I know all of its mysteries, I could load up a brand new save of the game and likely beat it in my first run. I loved discovering shortcuts and secrets only to realize that they had been there the whole time. I didn't have to do anything to unlock them other than learn where they were hiding. Unfortunately, that also means that my knowledge of the game and its world will prevent me from ever experiencing that joy of discovery again. That's precisely why I recommend grabbing the Archeologist Edition.

Outer Wilds: Archeologist Edition comes packaged with the original game and the Echoes of the Eye DLC. While this extra content is integrated into the base game, it is best experienced after you've already rolled credits once. With its new story, locations, mechanics, and mysteries, Echoes of the Eye is practically a full-length sequel to Outer Wilds, and the only reason it's not getting its own review is because it isn't standalone. Although its vibes are more sinister than those of the original, I was still hooked almost immediately. I was initially worried that starting from a clean slate would stifle my motivation, but that wasn't an issue at all. The problem is, I've finished this one too and now there's nothing else left.

Outer Wilds, without a doubt, is the best game I've played this year, and that's saying something. The incredible craftsmanship that went into creating such an elaborate solar system and its engrossing story cannot be overstated. I caught myself with my jaw on the floor more times than I could count, and I may have been irrationally excited by a few of my major discoveries. It's just disappointing that you can only play it for the first time once. I'll admit that there are some difficult sequences in this game and some puzzles will be harder to solve than others. Still, if you're committed to beating it, you'll have trouble finding a more fulfilling digital experience.
The game is available for Steam here (as of 11/10/24): https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/22795/Outer_Wilds__Archaeologist_Edition/
The game is available for Switch here (as of 11/10/24): https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/outer-wilds-archaeologist-edition-switch/
The game is available for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S here (as of 11/10/24): https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/outer-wilds-archaeologist-edition/9p9gxg7bj42q
The game is available for PS4 and PS5 here (as of 11/10/24): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2470-PPSA08101_00-OWARCHEDPS5SIEA0

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Pokémon TCG Online