Skylanders: Imaginators

Skylanders as a series holds a lot of nostalgia for me. I got the first game for Christmas when it came out, and played the series for years with my dad and brothers. In that time, we collectively amassed nearly 200 figures, all of which I recently rediscovered. Aching to relive that nostalgia, but not wanting to glue myself to a couch, I decided to play the only game in the series to make it to the Nintendo Switch. As the last game in the series, I expected some changes and growth in Skylanders Imaginators that would bring the series to a new level, but I was surprised to find that it really just rehashed the story and mechanics of the first two entries, while adding light platforming of Swap Force.

Like every other game in the series, Skylanders Imaginators asks you to protect the Skylands from the immature, power-hungry villain, Kaos. Instead of doing this with a set player-character, you can play as any one of the Skylanders released throughout the lifetime of the franchise, as long as you have the respective figure. However, any character other than those released alongside this game was severely nerfed, so much so that the later levels are practically unplayable with a legacy collection of toys. This was disappointing, but the new characters I collected were fun enough, so I was able to get over it.

Once your Skylander is in the game, what ensues is a fairly simple brawler with puzzle elements. You just beat up bad guys, push blocks, and pick locks as you progress through the story, which is truthfully more fun than I made it sound. As with each Skylanders game, Imaginators has a central gimmick to try and make its toys more fun than the older ones, which, in this case, was the ability to create your own Skylanders. As you play the game, you'll collect body parts, gear, and weapons that can be combined to make some pretty neat custom creations. You're unfortunately limited to humanoid body styles, and the toys themselves are pretty generic and boring, but I actually had more fun playing as my customized character than as any of the new official Skylanders, so I'm not too mad about it.

Once you boil it all down, Imaginators can seem like just another soulless rehash in an annual series, like the Madden's and Call of Duty's we all know. However, there's a kind of magic to the color, humor, and imagination (forgive me) that gets packed into each Skylanders game but passes over the other annual money-pushers. It's clear to me that this isn't a game for everyone, but for people like me who don't mind if something is kid-friendly, this can be a pretty solid way to spend a few hours.

Although the game is no longer being distributed, you can learn more about it here (as of 12/27/21): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylanders:_Imaginators

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes