Cats & Soup

I've recently tried to stay away from incremental/idle games. I've consistently had the problem of getting sucked in, even though I wasn't actually having any fun. I feel accomplished when I can see the numbers climb, but when the gameplay boils down to tapping an upgrade button and waiting, there's not much of a reason to keep playing. Every time I played one, I would eventually figure that out and move on, but only after having already wasted hours of my time. Purely for the sake of the adorable aesthetic, I gave into Cats & Soup, but I'm still deciding if it was worth it.

While it does some things that other incremental games are too lazy to commit to, like hosting passable minigames or offering a degree of customization, Cats & Soup ultimately ends up being the same as any other game in the genre. The cats are adorable, and they're what drew me to the game; it's obvious that a lot of care went into designing the little critters and their animations, and I really enjoyed watching them preparing their little ingredients. Unfortunately, the rest of the game followed the same old loop of "get a lot of money, spend it on upgrades." Even worse, so many of the money-making opportunities are locked behind ads to the point that you likely won't make any major progress without watching a bunch of them every time you play. I would estimate that at least a third of my playtime with this game was spent waiting for ads to end just so I could double my offline earnings or get a new costume for my cats. The balance of ad time to rewards definitely felt generous, so I won't knock the game there, but it does indicate to me that the reliance on ads as a mechanic was just a bit too high.

Although Cats & Soup was undeniably adorable, it's hard to consider it a good game. I enjoyed collecting each new cat and dressing it up, and the upgrades always felt pretty satisfying, but I don't think I can say that I was ever really having fun while playing. In the realm of incremental games, this is definitely one of the better ones I've played. It's far from perfect, but if you must play a game like this, you could make a worse choice than Cats & Soup. However, maybe it's a good day to consider with me how nice it would be to step away from incremental games altogether and ignore this one.

The game is available for Android here (as of 12/25/21): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hidea.cat&hl=en_US&gl=US
The game is available for iOS here (as of 12/25/21): https://apps.apple.com/ph/app/cats-soup/id1581431235?ign-mpt=uo%3D2

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes