Joy Mech Fight

As it has always been exclusive to Japan, when I first picked up this game, I had no idea what to expect. After I started the story mode just for kicks, I realized that this was a full-fledged fighting game on the NES! There are multiple fighters, unique movesets, destructive combos, and detailed backgrounds. None of this seemed like it belongs on the 8-bit machine, but some very clever programming made it not only possible, but also playable, and actually really enjoyable. I'm definitely not the only person impressed by this game though. It's clearly made some kind of impression in it's home country, as evidenced by Sukapon's presence as an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

As I still can't read Japanese, the story was a little difficult to follow. Thankfully, it's not really that important. Playing as the cute-and-simple Sukapon, you have to take down other fighting robots one by one. Those robots are also playable outside of story mode if you just want to play a quick fight, each having distinct moves to set them apart. In terms of gameplay, the combat is very similar to what you would find in the early Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games, but it feels a lot more fluid thanks to the lack of actual limbs. This unique anatomical structure allows for agile attacks that would look strange and out of place in a traditional fighting game, including long-range kicks and (my personal favorite) fighting cartwheels. Thanks to design choices like that, Joy Mech Fight manages to feel like a proper fighting game while still having an identity of its own.

Since it never properly released in the US, the odds were stacked against me for ever trying this game out. However, thanks to Nintendo Switch Online's region-free Famicom Online service, I was able to give it a shot, and it immediately stood out as one of the better multiplayer NES experiences. The graphics align with the console they live on, but the gameplay feels straight out of the SNES, which I found very impressive. I'm not very good at fighting games, and Joy Mech Fight is no different, but I was still engrossed the whole time I played. It's still not the easiest game to get your hands on, but if you do, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The game is available for Switch here (as of 4/3/21): https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000000850.html

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes