Centipede


I'm cursed when it comes to arcade games. My experiences always follow the same cycle. I'll boot up the game, immediately appreciate the simple, yet intelligent, design that made it popular, lose a lot, become disenchanted, and decide to play something else instead. Ultimately, I'm just not very good at them, and I lack the patience to get good, so I move on. I thought that's how Centipede would go long before I realized I was cursed, so I never actually gave it a chance. I was right. However, I wasn't as right as I thought, and I actually surprised myself with how much fun I was having by blasting all of those darn bugs!

It's pretty ambiguous what you actually play as in Centipede, and I never figured it out. What I do know, is that you can shoot projectiles that defeat enemies and break hazards. Based on that alone, I figured this would just be a clone of Space Invaders, shoot the enemies that move side-to-side while getting progressively lower, use shot-stopping barriers to your advantage, rinse and repeat. Luckily, there are plenty of differences here to make Centipede stand out. One of the biggest is your freedom as the player. Instead of being confined to the x-axis, you are also allowed to navigate up and down, giving you a chance to dodge low-flying opponents. The enemy variety is actually pretty cool too. Just don't let posers like the jumping spider distract you from your real nemesis. Starting at the top of the screen, the centipede bounces back and forth across the screen, switching directions and getting a little closer to you with each mushroom it hits. You have to take out each segment of its body in order to make it to the next stage. Hitting a segment transforms it into a mushroom, creating another obstacle on the screen, which carries over from stage to stage. That can cause all sorts of trouble, but it gets worse when you realize that hitting a midsection of the threatening bug creates another centipede out of the hind side, making your job of defeating it that much harder. This all made for a far more exciting game than I expected.

Centipede always seemed too complicated for me to be interested in figuring it out. After finally giving it a chance, I have realized that it is complicated enough to be interesting, but not so much that it's frustrating or annoying. I was surprised by how quickly I was able to pick up a basic strategy that worked really well for me (at least in the earlier stages). Plus, the game's faster pace also made it feel like I was making more progress than I usually do in other arcade titles, which was a nice confidence-booster. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this game, and I will definitely be revisiting it a lot more in the future.

The game is available online here (as of 4/26/21): https://games.aarp.org/games/atari-centipede
The game is available on Steam here (as of 4/26/21): https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes