Mario Kart Tour

 

Mario Kart Tour marks the series' smartphone debut, making it one of the most accessible games in the franchise. Looking at Nintendo's other mobile titles, one may expect this game to be a shallow implementation of the core mechanics fans have come to expect from mainline entries in the series. In a way, that assumption is accurate. However, Tour does an incredible job of hiding it. Thanks to the beautiful courses and the largely faithful racing gameplay, this feels exactly like a modern Mario Kart should, at least at the start.

My first reaction to playing this game was awe. It felt like a full Mario Kart experience on my phone, which is definitely not what I was expecting when it was first teased. The races are fast paced, steering and drifting feel smooth and responsive, and winning races is more dependant on skill than financial investments. However, it quickly became apparent that the goal of this game wasn't really to win races. As you play, the game pushes you to build your collection of drivers, karts, gliders, and badges. If you're willing to drop money on the game, those things will come more easily to you, but if you insist on playing for free (as I did), you'll have to invest significant time into this title. 

I really enjoyed growing my collection, with each new addition encouraging me to work even harder. However, I soon realized that I wasn't really playing the game for fun anymore. It became a sort of daily chore, pulling me away from the rest of my life just so I could try to unlock an event character before they went away. I was technically still enjoying the game, but I want to be dedicated to a game because it's fun and exciting, not because I'd be at a disadvantage if I didn't play. Because of that, I decided to step away from Tour. There are plenty of better options in the series if I'm itching for a race.

The game is available for Android here (as of 12/31/20): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.zaka&hl=en_US&gl=US
The game is available for iOS here (as of 12/31/20): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mario-kart-tour/id1293634699

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes