Pokémon Ultra Moon

I wouldn't consider Ultra Moon my favorite game in the Pokémon series, as I enjoyed a select few titles even more, but it was definitely the most exciting structurally. After the series seemed to get itself stuck in a rut, gyms were replaced with island challenges and everything became a bit more interesting. I felt like the focus wasn't just on making my team stronger, as the island challenges often revolved around strategy and deeper-thinking as well.

All of the mainline Pokémon games up until this point were almost identical in structure. Following the mantra, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it," since the mid-1990s. The seventh generation of Pokémon games didn't change the formula so much that it felt like a different series, but it shook things up enough that I finally felt like I was experiencing something fresh and new again. This dichotomy was illustrated perfectly through the newly introduced "Alolan Forms" of Pokémon found in the original games. Although they were still recognizable as the same Pokémon, they were different in their appearance and typing, giving players a new experience in both collecting and battling them.

I don't think that I would recommend Ultra Moon as an introductory Pokémon game, only because it plays so well in contrast with the history of the series, and new players wouldn't be aware of the advancements or references. However, for returning players such as myself, it is a great experience and a title that I am glad that I got around to. 
The game can be purchased for 3DS here (as of 8/18/20): https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-ultra-moon-3ds/

Photos sourced courtesy of https://www.serebii.net/ultrasunultramoon/pics.shtml

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes