Final Fantasy II

Like its counterparts on the NESZelda II: The Adventure of Link and Super Mario Bros. 2 (Super Mario USA), Final Fantasy II almost completely ignored what made its predecessor so successful. However, I think it was a much more enjoyable game as a result! Final Fantasy II's most blaring difference was the implementation of a stat-growth system instead of the traditional leveling system found in the series' other entries. Many found it tedious that you had to repeat an action to improve it (or its associated stats), but I actually enjoyed grinding in this entry because I could focus on new combat strategies in order to improve my target stats, instead of just fighting the same fight repeatedly. FFII also took a huge step by introducing characters with names, faces, and personalities, over the anonymous heroes of FFI. The interactions between characters through predetermined dialogue sequences and the interactive "ask/learn" system helped to flesh out the party and the world in a way I truly appreciated (see picture below).

All in all, FFII still thoroughly felt like it belonged in the franchise, but the differences that caused most to dub it a "black sheep" led me to consider it my favorite in the series so far! Granted, I still have a lot left to play and I may someday change my mind; however, I know that no matter how fantastic the later games are, FFII will continue to rank among my favorites.
The iOS version of the game can be found here (as of 10/2/2017): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-ii/id354974729?mt=8
The Android version of the game can be found here (as of 10/2/2017): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.finalfantasy2&hl=en

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes