Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Over the years, I had built up quite a reputation for Super Mario Land 2 in my head. It seemed like everyone who had played it felt like it was incredible, or even on par with the console releases. Relative to its status as a Gameboy game, I would certainly agree. However, taken on its own merits, I'd say that Super Mario Land 2 is a bit overhyped. That doesn't mean I dislike it or think it's a bad game, it just means that I don't think it's fair to stand this up to Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World without considering its context.

The first Super Mario Land game was released as a launch title for the Gameboy, so everyone was still trying to figure out how to make games for it. This led to some unique design choices and technical quirks that I don't think we would have seen if the game came out later in the system's lifespan, yet they became integral to the Super Mario Land identity. Super Mario Land 2 may have had the extra development time needed to iron out the technical issues, but it maintained the reputation of the previous game through its readiness to break away from the established Mario canon. We may not have ninjas or superball flowers anymore, but we do have Jason Voorhees/goomba fusions, carrot powerups that let you float, and a hippo that sends you to space. Frankly, because of how much closer this game feels to the rest of the Mario series, its peculiarities stand out even more. I don't want you to think I didn't like that though. The degree of freedom that the developers had in design choices is what made Gameboy games like Link's Awakening into the phenomenons that they are, and I think it's really neat. My problem instead comes down to the level design.

Super Mario Land 2 recognizes its inherent screen crunch and structures its levels with that in mind. In contrast to the Gameboy Color's Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, this feels excellent! While the first Super Mario Land also handled the screen crunch well, its physics left something to be desired. Unfortunately, thanks to the effort put into making this Mario feel as close to his console iterations as possible, it often felt to me like he needed a little more room to stretch his legs. Mario brought over his jumping and running capabilities from the NES and SNES, and all of the sprites are scaled up compared to the previous Gameboy entry, but everything important at any given moment is squeezed into the same tiny screen. With Mario covering more ground and everything taking up more screen real estate, it's impossible not to feel a bit cramped.

With how much it strives to feel like its console counterparts mechanically, it's hard not to compare Super Mario Land 2 with the likes of Super Mario Bros. 3. Unfortunately, on that scale, this game really can't stand up. The cramped levels often left me feeling like I was running into things more than I was running, detracting from how nice the platforming physics actually was. However, taken at face value, Super Mario Land 2 is a technical marvel, and still a fun game, especially when you look at its predecessor and see how far Gameboy development had progressed. While I wasn't as thrilled by this game as I was originally expecting, I did still have a good time, and it's hard to argue with a full Mario adventure in a unique setting. My recommendation to people hoping to play this is to reign in your expectations more than I did. If you go in expecting good old Mario fun and not the Gameboy's biggest gem, you'll definitely walk away satisfied.

The game is available for Switch here (as of 5/10/23): https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/game-boy-nintendo-switch-online-switch/

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes