Celeste Classic

It was only a few days after Christmas and I was exploring the capabilities of my new retro handheld. I had already experimented with the usual emulation and native-run games, so I started to dive deeper when something caught my eye. A few years previous, I had learned about PICO-8, a fantasy console that interested me, but that I had never gotten around to doing much with. Casually listed amongst the consoles my new handheld could emulate, PICO-8 sat ready to bid for my attention once again. This time, I couldn't resist the invitation, so I downloaded the only game for the "console" that I knew off the top of my head and I didn't put it down until I had beaten it.

The original Celeste game is a short, yet challenging, precision platformer. Your goal is to scale a wintry mountain through thirty stages of increasingly complex platforming challenges, mastering your full array of movement capabilities along the way. You'll encounter walls to cling to, gaps to clear, spikes to avoid, and more, each of them requiring near-perfect execution when chaining together your jumps and dashes, with failure typically resulting in immediate death. However, I believe that is where Celeste shows its true value.

Sometimes you may beat a stage on your first attempt, and it feels amazing to do so, but more often than not, you'll probably die a couple dozen times before you finally nail everything. It was those stages, the ones that really challenged me, that helped me to realize Celeste's greatest strength is its forgiveness. No matter how many times I botched a chain of dashes and jumps, I'd get to try again right away. Thanks to the small size of the stages, failure never feels like it takes you back too far, and even the smallest bit of progress from one attempt to the next can feel monumental. If there were a life counter or any sort of pause between deaths, I imagine this would be an incredibly frustrating experience, but Celeste chooses to forgive failure and encourage learning. Because of that, I actually felt even more determined to succeed when I encountered the segments that would've just made me angry in other games.

I have yet to play the full retail Celeste game, but I can only imagine that basing a full-fledged title on the foundation laid here would result in a true masterpiece. I feel like playing Celeste Classic is almost like watching the standalone pilot of a popular show. It holds something special for those who already enjoy the actual show, but it was obviously good enough on its own to have greenlit the show in the first place, so it can still be just as memorable for those who are completely new to the series. Precision platformers aren't for everyone, but if that's something you like, whether or not you've played the retail release of Celeste, this is absolutely worth a try.

The game is available online here (as of 2/13/23): https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2145
The game is available for Steam here (as of 2/13/23): https://store.steampowered.com/app/504230/Celeste/
The game is available for Switch here (as of 2/13/23): https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/celeste-switch/
The game is available for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S here (as of 2/13/23): https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/celeste/bwmql2rpwbhb
The game is available for PS4 and PS5 here (as of 2/13/23): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2120-CUSA11302_00-CELESTEXXCELESTE

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes