Pokémon X

Pokémon X was a big deal for me. I had just gotten my hands on a 3DS when the game was announced, and having already pumped hundreds of hours into FireRed, my only mainline Pokémon game at the time, I was absolutely ready for something new. I easily could have picked up any game from the DS era to satisfy that itch, but watching the teaser trailers advertising mega evolution and the gorgeous 3d everything, I knew that wasn't really an option. Once I got my hands on the game, I knew I had made the right choice. From the moment I first heard the opening theme to the day I completed the national dex, I was absolutely enamored.

I consider Pokémon X and Y to be the start of a major transition for the series. While most of the traditions and tropes from the previous five generations are still present here, there are some important changes and additions that mark a new direction for the mainline series. Obviously, the game is in 3d instead of 2d, but there was a waterfall of changes that followed this upgrade. While the DS games had a 2.5d effect in the overworld, it wasn't until X and Y that we finally broke out of the birds-eye-view grid system. You can technically walk in said grid with your character snapping to the four directions the whole time if you want, but very soon after you leave home, you acquire the roller skates. The roller skates are useful for navigating certain rail-grinding puzzles and they allow you to move faster than just running, but the real magic is their 360 degrees of movement. No longer are you stuck to four directions of movement, and it feels sublime. Player customization with new hair, outfits, and accessories was also introduced here, helping me to connect with the main character, and ultimately the world of X and Y, in a way I hadn't with a Pokémon game before. Thanks to the introduction of 3d models for the Pokémon themselves, Game Freak gave us the chance to connect with our little friends even more too.

Each Pokémon now has its own set of attack animations that make battles feel a lot more lively, and the camera is no longer static, giving you a unique opportunity to view the battles from angles that had previously been exclusive to home-console spinoffs. However, none of that was quite as engrossing to me as Pokémon-Amie. This new feature gives you the opportunity to pet, feed, and play games with every single one of your Pokémon buddies, and as your friendship grows, so do the benefits in battle. I became best friends with my Froakie and Bulbasaur early on, and they felt almost broken for the rest of the game. I was surprised the first time I saw one of them dodge an attack just to "make me proud", but when they shook off a status condition so "I wouldn't worry," I knew for sure that this was something special. It does get a bit repetitive to do the same song and dance to grow your friendship with your whole party, but it's remarkable that it's available for absolutely every Pokémon, from Caterpie to Arceus.

With all of those technical upgrades, you would be forgiven for expecting some restructuring in the story and gameplay as well, but Game Freak held that off for the next generation. There are still HM's, a national dex, eight gyms, and a story that starts with an innocent kickoff as a new trainer and culminates with a high-stakes collision with a legendary Pokémon. The latter trope still remains a staple in the series, but the rest have been adjusted, removed, or replaced in future entries. In that sense, despite all of the changes introduced in X and Y, this is arguably the final traditional Pokémon generation. I have mixed feelings about this, as I mostly play Pokémon for the collecting, and I love that the national dex is still here, but I hate HM's, and I am much happier with how they were handled in future titles.

Luckily, the list of shortcomings in this game is minimal. I absolutely adored Pokémon X and its ability to draw on the already rich history of games and traditions while refusing to be held back by them. The new ways to interact with the world and the Pokémon in it helped me to feel far more attached to the game and kept me engaged for hundreds of hours. I enjoyed the story and the post-game content, but the sheer amount of collecting to be done ensured that I stayed hooked long after the structured content wrapped up. Looking back on it now, there are definitely some elements of the game that feel more archaic compared to its follow-ups, but that's to be expected, and I didn't really notice anything in the moment. Pokémon X will always be a special game for me, and I think anyone who enjoys the modern era of the Pokémon franchise desperately needs to go on an adventure through the Kalos region.

The game can be purchased for 3DS here (as of 10/12/21): https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-x-3ds/

Photos sourced courtesy of http://www.thepokedex.com/pokemon-games/pokemon-xy/pokemon-x-and-y-screenshots/

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes