Defender

Defender was another arcade game that snuck up on me. I had heard the name plenty of times, but I had never actually seen the game played, let alone actually played it myself. Based on the name, I was expecting something along the lines of Missile Command, but I was way off. With it being an earlier arcade release, I also wasn't sure what to expect in terms of the quality or the quantity of the game's content. Fortunately, while Defender doesn't offer much variety, it is a solid, well-polished alien-shooting experience.

The game takes place close to the surface of a barren alien planet, requiring you to avoid crashing into the terrain as you evade enemy fire. Similar to other space shooters, Defender is broken into a series of increasingly difficult stages, and you progress between them by defeating every enemy in the given stage. However, the aliens know how to take advantage of their space, and aren't all going to be in firing range at once. Luckily, the mini-map on the top of the screen will give you a chance to locate them, while also helping you to avoid potentially nasty situations. This map ended up being my favorite feature in Defender, as it was not only completely unexpected for an arcade title this old, but also extremely helpful in giving me a chance to strategize my approach. Despite the game's challenge, the mini-map helped me to feel like I had some control.

I wouldn't consider this to be a diamond in the rough, but it does offer something unique from the other space-shooters of the era. I was impressed that Defender provided me with both a scrolling arena and an accurate, real-time tool for locating the enemies scattered within it. Although the game is somewhat lacking in the variety department, it handles itself very well, and I enjoyed my time with it. That being said, I don't think I'll be seeking this one out again, mostly because there are more intriguing options available. However, if I were offered a chance to play it in person, I'd be foolish to turn it down. 

Although the game is no longer being distributed, you can learn more about it here (as of 8/6/21): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(1981_video_game)

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes