Pilotwings

 

Pilotwings brought impressive flight simulations to the SNES, with realistic physics assisted by pseudo-3D graphics that pulled the whole experience together. Unfortunately, it just wasn't very fun. Nintendo incorporated bonus rounds that were far more fantastical than the main gameplay, but it all still ended up feeling like I was performing a simulation instead of playing a game. The variety in challenges was nice, and it was an interesting experience when piloting each vehicle/character, but I often felt like I had to force myself to play this over other games.

The gameplay loop of Pilotwings revolves around completing different challenges in order to achieve higher levels of your in-game pilot license. You'll have to demonstrate your skills with a plane, a jetpack, a hanglider, and a parachute in the main stages, which make up most of the experience. If you achieve a secret goal while completing one of the regular challenges, you'll have the opportunity to earn additional points in bonus rounds as either a penguin or a birdman. After you've proven yourself as a pilot, the game suddenly has a story, and a pretty surprising one at that. It turns out that the trainers from each previous phase of the game have been kidnapped by a hostile nation, and you're the only one who can save them. Piloting the attack helicopter and taking down turrets was truly fun, and I wish there was more content like it in the game. Unfortunately, after that point, you've seen most of what Pilotwings has to offer.

This game was influential enough to get two sequels, but the whole series serves more as tech demos for their respective consoles than as full gaming experiences. With the only goal being to become a better pilot, the incentives to continue felt pretty minimal to me. Whenever I completed a challenge, it just felt like I was done, not like I had won, and that wasn't enough to drive me beyond the first helicopter segment. If you're really into flying or simulation games, then Pilotwings has my full recommendation. However, as a videogame, it just isn't my style.

The game is available for Switch here (as of 10/29/20): https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-nintendo-switch-online-switch/

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes