The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Although I love the Legend of Zelda franchise, Phantom Hourglass was a game that I was skeptical about revisiting. This was one of the first titles that I ever played on the DS, and for some reason I was unable to make it past the first run of the temple of the ocean king (granted, I was very young). Ultimately, I traded my copy away for Pokémon Ranger (a move that I do not regret) and forgot about it for a long time.

My attention was brought back to the game when my interest in the franchise was being rejuvenated by Ocarina of Time 3d and Skyward Sword, but many reviews online recommended skipping it due to the tedious repetition of the temple of the ocean king, as well as the slight annoyance that comes with almost-pure touch-controls. I heeded that warning for a while, but I am currently on a mission to beat every Zelda game, so I needed to play this one eventually.

Upon finally playing it, I realized that the touch controls were far from ideal at certain times, but Nintendo knows how to make a game, and they definitely know how to make it control well. Swiping to attack and tapping to roll became almost second nature within just a few hours of play (which to some may seem like too much, but I wasn't really bothered.) That leaves the other complaint of the repetitive dungeon. I agree with the fact that it was annoying to continually revisit the same corridors and puzzles, but I became more skilled as the game progressed (and had more items available to me,) which, combined with the ability to write notes on the dungeon map, made for a pretty easy return trip every time.

Ultimately, Phantom Hourglass definitely has its hiccups, but the story is a roller coaster of excitement that I believe surprised me more than a lot of other games I have played in the past. The characters were lovable, and the environments, although oddly geometric, were quite enjoyable. Despite being packed on such a small and unique system, Nintendo's first attempt at a touch-controlled Zelda title was an entirely enjoyable experience that I give my support. It may not be the perfect Zelda game, but it is worth your time.
This game can be purchased via Virtual Console for the WiiU here (as of 9/21/18): https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-wii-u

Popular posts from this blog

Meow Tower: Nonogram Pictogram

Space Lich Omega

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes